Free Shipping on All Orders Free Shipping on All Orders

5 Pesticides to Keep Away from your Pets

/ No comments
5 Pesticides to Keep Away from your Pets

Gardeners should always be aware of inadvertent exposures of our pets to the various dangers. To keep your pets safe, we'd like to share five of the main chemicals you should avoid using in your yard and around animals. 

We get it's tough to have a perfect yard or garden without using pest control but be heads up to those options that can harm your pet. Products being manufactured for lawn care these days are much more advanced than in prior years. Pet-friendly labeling can now be found on many packages, but warnings must still be heeded.
Here are 5 chemicals that are considered dangerous to your pets: 

1.  Glyphosate: 

This is an amino acid inhibitor that affects metabolic pathways specific to plants. These pathways are not present in mammals. Ingestion typically results in gastrointestinal irritation with vomiting and diarrhea.

2. Iron: 

Fertilizers containing iron may pose a risk for iron poisoning, although this is dependent on the nature of exposure and dose and the nature of the iron in the product. Iron toxicosis initially mimics the irritant effects of general fertilizer ingestion with vomiting and diarrhea.  Advanced cases or large ingestion may cause more severe signs of hematemesis, melena, lethargy, tachycardia, acidosis and effects on the liver and kidneys. 

3. Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid (2,4-D): 

A few recent studies show links between lawn chemicals using 2,4-D to two types of canine cancers. The World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer classified 2,4-D as “possibly carcinogenic to humans … based on inadequate evidence in humans and limited evidence in experimental animals.”

4. 4-Chloro-2-Methylphenoxypropionic Acid (MCPP): 

These act at multiple sites in a plant to disrupt protein synthesis altering growth. Specifically used to control broadleaf weeds, these herbicides as available in commercial form will typically lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal discomfort.  Exposure to large amounts or concentrate/industrial formulas may rarely lead to myotonia, ataxia and tremors.

5. Insecticides: 

Some fertilizers may be manufactured with insecticide and/or fungicide ingredients, and are commonly used in rose and flower care products. Imidacloprid and tebuconazole are among the more commonly used ingredients in these products.  Ingestion may lead to mild irritation with vomiting and/or diarrhea. Care is typically supportive.

Remember: Be Cautious with Chemicals

With proper applications of herbicides, the health risks to our dogs is minimal, but you can't guarantee that your neighbors, or the lawn crew you hire will read and follow label directions.


Some homeowners may even consider hiring a professionals who was trained in the ways of pet-friendly fertilizer, pesticide or herbicide applications. Always has how long you should keep your pet off the lawn to be safe.


If you witness your pet consuming material that might be toxic, seek emergency assistance, even if the pet seems fine. Sometimes, even if poisoned, an animal may appear normal for several hours or for days after the incident.

Categories




Picked for Your Green Space